JOB TITLE: Cellar Operator/Lab Tech
LOCATION: Branford , CT
REPORTS TO: Plant Manager
POSITION TYPE: Hourly
SHIFT: Rotating. Training will be during first shift until proficient. Then 60 days cycles. Two shifts per day at the moment.
VIEW FROM ABOVE THE CREEK:
This Cellar Operator/Lab Tech position is responsible for many aspects of the day to day operations of the brewery. He or She plays an active role in cellaring, filtration, basic lab work and cleaning, with eventual cross training in the brew house. A love of craft beer is a priority. The ability to work in a team, a must. We are a fast growing brewery with lots of room for upward mobility. Experience is a must. To thrive on the Creek you must have a serious understanding of sound production brewing technique.
A DAY AT THE CREEK:
- Filtration utilizing Centrifuge and cartridge filtration
- Dry hopping the prescribed amount of hops to the designated fermenter via a top port on the tank. This involves operation of a scissor lift at heights of up to 25 feet.
- Clean, sanitize, and purge tanks and process lines/hoses with strict adherence to C.I.P. and process S.O.P.’s
- Occasional Yeast handling, including; yeast dumps, harvesting, pitching, while following sanitary procedure.
• Carbonation monitoring
- Fermentation monitoring, including; gravity checks, tank pressurization, and temperature adjustments
- Safe handling of cleaning chemicals.
- Ensures work area is clean and well organized
• Ensures tank exteriors are cleaned regularly
- Other cellar tasks that may be assigned as needed.
- Assist our QA Lead in the daily lab functions including but not limited to;
- Diacetyl checks
- IBU testing
- Yeast cell counting and viability testing
- Packaging air testing
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIECE TO THRIVE ON THE CREEK
- Minimum 2 years of commercial production brewery experience
- Prefer folk lift certification
- Able to operate a forklift and pallet jack
- Able to regularly work during evenings and weekends
- Able to work any shift in a 24/7 production environment
- Attention to detail is a must
- Ability to multi task.
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Knowledge of sound brewing process
- Genuine enthusiasm for craft beer.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb.
• Ability to frequently talk, hear, and smell.
• Ability to lift and/or move up to 55 pounds and occasionally maneuver 165 lb kegs.
• Ability to frequently reach with hands and arms. Use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
• Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to follow safety protocols, including safe chemical handling procedures and use of personal protective equipment
- Working on feet all day in the fermentation cellar. Sometimes wet, cold, hot & noisy areas, working with strong chemicals, pressure vessels, and machinery.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions for this position. All requests for accommodation must be reviewed and approved by the Company’s HR Director and/or General Counsel.
- Knowledge of English usage, spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Valid driver’s license and state mandated auto insurance.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent communication
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and long hours.
- Ability to handle a large workload and a number of different projects simultaneously.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Good mechanical skills
ABOUT STONY CREEK BEER
Stony Creek Brewery is a 30 bbl production brewery and waterfront tasting room on the banks of the Branford River in beautiful Branford, CT. We are makers of Aggressively Laid Back Beer, the fusion of clean, bold and aggressive West Coast flavors and East Coast balance and drinkability. Today, we distribute throughout Connecticut, Rhodes Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Stony Creek Beer strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
To apply: Please send your résumé to: email@example.com